Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Salman Rushdie: ‘I Stand With Charlie Hebdo, as We All Must’

Salman Rushdie, a personal hero, expressed my thoughts at the Paris office of Charlie Hebdo today when he said,”I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as We All Must…” His full statement is shown below:
“Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms. This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today. I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity. ‘Respect for religion’ has become a code phrase meaning ‘fear of religion.’ Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect.” –Salman Rushdie

I fear no religion. Fuck you Islam. Pictures tell a more powerful story than my simple words:

Via Reddit

From Paris, via Reddit.

Via Cyprien on Twitter

Via J.K. Rowling on Twitter.

Via Banksy on Instagram - this gives me hope.