Friday, August 23, 2013

Evangelicals urged to confront abuse

Before I get started, let me state that I firmly believe Evangelicals should confront sex abuse via transparency and accountability. Having said that, I give you this…

Evangelical churches need to confront sexual abuse and cover-ups within their own ranks, according to a statement signed by more than 1,500 people worldwide and promoted by a former sex-crimes prosecutor.

The “Public Statement Concerning Sexual Abuse in the Church of Jesus Christ” was prompted in part by a Maryland lawsuit filed by 11 people against Sovereign Grace Ministries, a denomination now based in Louisville, alleging a cover-up of abuse within its churches.

Source: Faith & Works | Evangelical churches urged to confront abuse, cover-ups

I'm cynical. I know this article means well, but it is essentially a commercial for GRACE, or the Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment, which sells its services to Christian organization in need. I hope some good comes of it, but I do not think a group on the inside can be any more effective that the Catholic church is at investigating its own crimes. GRACE - please provide a list of cases which have been forwarded to the proper authorities for investigation. Show your worth. Hold the bastards accountable.