Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Pastor orders gay son beaten

If the story is true, pastor Jerry Pittman order his son, Jerry Pittman Jr. and his son’s boyfriend, beaten in the parking lot at Grace Fellowship Church in Tennessee. Pastor Pittman allegedly set his deacon on his son when they arrived to attend church.

“My uncle and two other deacons came over to the car per my dad’s request. My uncle smash me in the door as the other deacon knocked my boyfriend back so he couldn’t help me, punching him in his face and his chest. The other deacon came and hit me through my car window in my back.”

Source: Pastor, deacons accused of assaulting gay couple by David Edwards.

It’s a family affair, that much is for sure. It also crosses the line. It’s clear from the once sided description that the victims think they were beaten because they are gay. I think that qualifies as a hate crime. It would be here in California.

What bothers me most about cases like this is the violence. How violence consistent with living a life like Christ? Ordering a beating is hypocrisy. I’m pretty sure Jesus did not order  any beatings. That was so Old Testament, yet pastor Pittman allegedly ordered a beating for his own adult son and his son’s boyfriend. How is this a Christian act?

4 comments:

Andrew Hall said...

I saw this article a few hours ago and didn't have the time to see if it was a Poe or not. I guess it's real -- and very disturbing.

David said...

It IS a Christian act. The bible endorses and encourages violence against gays. If they were true Christians they would have killed them - that's what the bible prescribes for gays. Let's not kid ourselves that Christianity is about love and forgiveness. Have you ever read the old testament. And most of the Christians I know are nothing of the loving and forgiving type.

Mojoey said...

I hear you David. It's the difference between the public image of love and forgiveness, and the vile and troubling old testament, where one could be stoned for looking at a person the wrong way.

Zarathustra said...

Good case for Patricide here.....