Saturday, October 09, 2010

Michael Behe’s son is an Atheist

Via Reddit:

IAmA son of Michael Behe, the Catholic biochemist who coined the term "Irreducible Complexity". I turned away from my family's Catholic faith two years ago and am now an outspoken atheist. AMA.

In Reddit speak, “AMA” means Ask Me Anything. It’s code for a question and answer session. In this case it’s over 500 comments long. The them is inspiring. He started thinking.

At seventeen, I was something of a little thinker, and I liked questioning everything and looking at issues from different sides. I had never applied that to religion, so I eventually decided to dive right in and listen to the opposing side. I had the utmost confidence in my faith, and I was a very devout Catholic. The first book I read against religion was Dawkins' "The God Delusion". While I didn't (and still don't) agree with everything he said, I tried to empty my mind of assumptions and reformed opinions as much as possible. I read through the whole book in two days, and the result was quite shocking to me. It was like taking off rose-colored glasses for the first time. I realized how questionable religion might sound to some who had not grown up around it. And that was the foundation of my change- it took quite a while to accept, I'd say about six months, but the more I read, the more I realized that religion's claims were simply unfounded.

Enjoy

Technorati Tags: