Friday, August 20, 2010

Photography: Destroy This Memory

The thing about photographs is they don’t let you forget. Katrina was five years ago. I can remember being in Del Rio as the storm approached. Carloads of beleaguered evacuees were settling into every available hotel room. There was panic in the air. My flight out of San Antonio was tense. People were scared. I remember it, but I’m starting to forget too. I took no photos.

Richard Misrach took photos. They are on display at the Museum of Fine arts, Houston. Richard Misrach: After Katrina Exhibit.  August 7, 2010 to October 21, 2010.

I plan to buy the catalog: Destroy This Memory

The exhibition is accompanied by a catalog of photographs published by Aperture titled Destroy This Memory. The book does not contain any essays or captions, allowing the bold graffiti messages to speak for themselves.

I doubt I will make the show.

Technorati Tags: