Wednesday, August 25, 2010

No hijab for Mickey Mouse

When I go to Disneyland, I don’t see employees, I see cast members. I don’t know which are Catholic, Mormon, Hindus, or Muslim. I’m in an annoying fantasy world where I can pretend to have fun with a few thousand of my sweaty obnoxious friends. Even though I must be drugged and then tricked into visiting, I applauded Disney for keeping religion out of their operation. The park is as bland and boring as possible on purpose, they do not want to offend. I even like their attitude when it comes to accommodating the needs of their religious employees.  They try.  Of course, that does not stop people with an agenda from pushing their faith anyway.

A Muslim employee is refusing to wear a hat and bonnet that Disney provided in place of a head scarf, which she wants to leave on at work for religious reasons.

Imane Boudlal, a restaurant hostess at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel, last week in a press conference accused Disney of religious discrimination for refusing to let her wear a hijab, a head scarf, in public view.

Read more: Muslim employee rejects Disney's hat alternative by Ssrah Tully

Disney is offering  a bonnet with a hat, which covers the head and neck. Baudlal wants her hijab. Disney has offered her jobs out of the public eye, she’s refused those too.

"The hat makes a joke of me and my religion, and draws even more attention to me," Boudlal said in a prepared statement. "It's unacceptable."

The bonnet/hat combo looks bad.

Disney will stand firm. They don’t want religion stepping on some tourists vacation buzz.

Technorati Tags: ,,