Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Confusing Atheists with Agnostics

A grow tired of the Huffingtonpost’s continued bias against atheists. The latest offering from Pete Ennes, Ph.D. is a perfect example. Ennes goes at atheists for his assertion that atheism is flawed knowledge of the lack of a God.

To say that God's existence is detectable with certainty through reason, logic, and evidence is a belief because it makes some crucial assumptions. For one thing, it assumes that our intellectual faculties are the best, or only, ways of accessing God. This is an assumption that privileges Western ways of knowing and excludes other wholly human qualities like emotion and intuition.

It also reduces God to an object, a thing, a being among all other beings, whose existence is as open to rational inquiry as anything else. It is an old argument but a good one: any god worthy of the name is the source of all being, and therefore not one more being alongside all others subject to rational control. Any god like that isn't God at all.

I can’t count how many times I’ve said this. As an atheist, I do not believe in God. As an agnostic, I do not think it is possible to prove or disprove the existence of God. I am an agnostic atheist, and so are most of the atheists I know. There may be an atheist out there who tries to construct scientific proof of the non-existence of God, but they are in the fringe minority. If you don’t believe me, listen to extensive archives of The Atheist Experience (blog). Every time the subject comes up, the caller gets a lecture. Sorry Dr. Ennes, you need to peddle your misinformation someplace else.

Ellis Wiiner says it best (in the comments)

I invite the author of this post to quote an atheist who actually says, "I know for a certainty that God does not exist," and to document the atheist's proof or reasons for "knowing." I've never read such a statement and I've never seen such proofs or reasons.

Technorati Tags: ,,