Monday, June 07, 2010

Things I learned in Suzhou #6

DSC_6657Everybody is 22-years-old. I’m not kidding. The whole damn country is 22. I met hundreds of people on my last visit, they were all young. The only old people my age were janitors, maintenance workers, and gardeners. I saw the occasional grandma too, but anyone working, anyone I needed to talk to in order to get along, be it ordering coffee or taking a cab, was young.

It gives you a different perspective. Somebody told me there are more 20 to 22-year-old people in China than there are people in California. I believe it.

The girls pictured above were members of the hotel staff who worked the bar. They poured a mean Tiger beer and spent a great deal of time practicing their English with patrons. They were nice kids and as innocent as they come.

Technorati Tags: ,,