Monday, July 27, 2009

A priest falls

A priest falls and many at his parish do not believe the charge of adult sexual misconduct. I am not surprised. This reaction is common but often misplaced.  While it is true that Rev. Pedro Jose Damazio was suspended, there is a more troubling aspect to the story. If I read between the lines correctly, Damzaio has fled the country to avoid a criminal investigation. The press report bills it as Damazio returning to Brazil to inform his infirm mother of the sexual allegations. But he is still in Brazil, while the shit waits to hit the fan here.

Yesterday, Kelly Lynch, a spokeswoman for the Archdiocese of Boston, declined to release any further details about Damázio’s suspension, which was announced Saturday in a press release that said he had been accused of “adult sexual misconduct.’’

She said a law enforcement agency was investigating the matter, but would not identify which agency, and the Cambridge Police Department would not say whether it is involved in the case.

I am sure I will be chastised by rabid Catholics for my tone. I could just accept that the suspension is a mere allegation and his flight to Brazil a humanitarian gesture. But by now I am a complete and total skeptic. I am not inclined to believe the spin.

I need a picture of Damazio for my rogues gallery. Does anyone have one they can send my way?