Monday, January 05, 2009

A few thoughts from my day

The news of Jett Travolta dieing bothers me. As a father, I understand that the loss of a child would be devastating. I am not even sure how I would survive it. I've hesitated posting on Jett's death because it seems too personal, to intrusive. But something happened at work today which changed my opinion. I realized that the supportive stance of the news media has acted like a tacit endorsement of the Travolta's parental rights to withhold valid medical treatment for religious reasons. I actually heard a woman say that if her church said it was wrong to treat AIDS, then she would feel obligated to follow Travolta's example. I did not confront the woman. Work is not the place for it. So I'll vent here. Jett Travolta did not have to die. His death was senseless and irresponsible (if the stories are true). Do I need to say any more?
---
In other news, I realized that I have a pet peeve which I was not fully aware of before. I don't like it when people don't know how to think. I'm tired of trying to talk about how to solve problems, conduct tests or do research, or even about how to explain things logically. It drives me nuts. I'll have to work on it.
---
While driving on the freeway this morning (today it was 1:45 hours), I stopped in place for a few minutes because of an obstacle in the road. A CHP office stopped his motorcycle next to me. My window was down. He leaned over and said (in his best sexy voice), "So, do you come here often?".
---
As part of my 2009 New Year's Resolutions, I've set my hand to writing poetry. I've already learned that it is much harder than I ever realized. I'm on my 9th revision of a three stanza poem. My total writing time is nearing 6 hours. This is going to be a tough task. Why did I set a goal of 12?