Friday, September 05, 2008

Texas housewife busted

This is not my normal subject matter. But, I have a point to make. When a state legislates Christian morality, the results can be uncomfortable. For example, Joanne Webb of Cleburne, Texas, conducted a legitimate business from the privacy of her home. Her customers were discrete woman with special needs. In this case the needs were, vibrators, lubricants, lotions and other erotic toys.  Passion Parties is like Tupperware parties were in the 70s, except now the target audience is the 30 something horny set. To a reasonable person, there is nothing wrong here.

The arrest of Webb in Cleburne, a small town 50 miles southwest of Dallas, was the first time that any of the company's 3,000 sales consultants have been busted, said Pat Davis, the president of Passion Parties. She said the company was outraged by the charges and stood behind Webb.

"It makes you wonder what they're thinking out there in Texas,'' Davis said. "They sound like prudes, with antiquated laws. They must have all their street crime under control in Texas if they're going to spend tax money arresting us.''

Source: Texas housewife busted for hawking erotic toys / Sales rep for Brisbane firm sold vibrator to undercover agents

I want to know the background story on this one. Who's idea was it to shut down Webb's harmless little business by pressing obscenity charges? Cleburne, a town of 30,000 people in northern Texas, must have it share of Christians who think they have the right to dictate what people do in their bedrooms, right? I counted 57 churches in a quick poll. I wonder which disgruntled customer tipped her pastor, who then pressured the cops to shut down this obvious den of inequity?

Here is my issue. I live in America. If I want to buy a vibrator at a neighbors sex toy party, then I should be allowed to do so without the fear of big brother (and his fundie overlords) looking over my shoulder - even if I lived in Texas.

Technorati tags: , , ,