Saturday, July 05, 2008

Revisiting Benley

Few restaurants have made it to my top ten list. There is this little Cuban place in Paris for example. Havanita, it's amazing. I would fly back to Paris just for another go at the menu. The same goes for Le Pre Catelan, where I had one of the best meals of my life. Or, Nanxiang Mantou Dian in Shanghai, where I discovered the true nature of a chinese dumpling. Benley has joined the club.

My wife and I visit for lunch ever other week or so on Saturdays. We did so again today. I am slowly working my way through the menu. My goal is to try everything. So far, I've tried all of the Pho offerings, the same goes for the vermicelli. I've nibbled at their outstanding filet with potatoes, Well ok, nibbled might not be the right way to describe it. I greedily ate half my wife's dinner while she looked the other way. Today I tried the chicken curry. Heather recommended adding mint and hot sauce to "dress it up". It killed me. I wanted to ask for a second helping. I've never asked for seconds before. My friend Kenny has shameless done so many times. Not me, nope. I'm just going back for an early dinner.

Benley is already an outstanding place to enjoy a world class meal. I am not exaggerating. I've eaten at some of the best restaurants in the world. I would count this little strip-mall offering as among the best. They are making a few changes that could take it to the next level. Besides offering a half off wine night on Monday nights, they plan to reduce the cost of the lunch menu by 15%. My quiet little hole in the wall might soon be too popular for a casual lunch. I hope not.

They also plan to add new items to the menu, including their legendary creme brulee. I will be first in line when it's ready.

Zagat's rated Benley the best Vietnamese restaurant in Long Beach and the second best restaurant overall. My wife and I plan to start brining guests soon. I'm sure my friends will enjoy this wonderful place. Yours will too.

(I first wrote about Benley - A Vietnamese Kitchen back in March).

Technorati Tags: , ,