Sunday, June 29, 2008

Blogroll Update: Secular Sunday Sermon

Secular Sunday Sermon joined the Atheist Blogroll a few days ago. The author has been kind enough to provide an introduction. Enjoy!

You know, I can't count how many people have told me that they never realized how many atheists there were out there until they started looking into it here on the Internet. As an atheist with more than a twinge of an evangelizing streak, this makes me happy to hear, but I must admit that the experience was a little different for me.

I grew up in southern Ontario, Canada - a part of the world where religion is so absent from the public arena that it's actually rather difficult to know who is an atheist and who is a believer. In all my time growing up, the number of people I met who went to church every weekend Ii could count on one hand, and the idea that there were people who took Genesis literally and really believed that the world was 6,000 years old was, frankly, laughable.

So it was truly with a shock that I explored the world of the religious on the Internet and discovered just how many completely dogmatic fundamentalists there are out there. A shock, you might say, that has spurred me into action. The Internet has shown me that there is a fight out there worth fighting: the fight for secularism, for rational thinking, for tolerance and for true freedom. If I can contribute at all to this fight, I will consider it worthwhile...

Please take a moment to visit this blog and welcome him to the team.

Technorati tags: , ,

1 comment:

Jojo Chintoh said...

Why thank you. That's so very kind of you.

Hope it's enjoyed!