Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I terrified a little girl today

I did not mean to terrify a helpless little girl, it just happened. It all started when I snuck out of the office for a quick lunch. I brought a book along for company. I frequent a family owned Mexican restaurant once a week or so. They make great tacos, I eat tacos. It's a good relationship. Plus, their pozole, when they make it, is to die for.

I slipped into my usual table, popped open the book, and started reading. My matronly waitress greeted me by name and enquired if I were eating along today. I nodded yes and then turned my attention back to the book.

A few minutes later a small girl sat down in the seat across from me. She was three or four years old at most. She had crayons, a coloring book and a huge smile on her face. I lowered my book to make eye contact, she screamed. "El Diablo, El Diablo", and ran from the table, her crayons flying in every direction.

Conversation stopped, everyone looked my way, I tried to laugh it off but only drew cold stares.

The young girl's mother brought her back to my table. She was trembling and crying. She would not look at me. She was terrified. I could not make out the conversation that passed between mother and child, it was tense and then tender.

The young girl eventually calmed down. Her mother told me her daughter thought I was the devil. She told her daughter that I was not the devil because the devil had horns. Apparently, my dark red mustache and unruly red goatee had scared her, she imagined the horns.

The mother spoke something in Spanish to the room - everyone laughed and a few people pointed at me. The tension dropped.

My waitress came back to take my order. She addressed me as El Diablo. The tacos were great.

5 comments:

The Exterminator said...

Well at last the truth comes out. The person who maintains the Atheist Blogroll must be the Devil. I think that little girl sensed something. Was your tail properly tucked into your pants?

tina FCD said...

You have some funny ass stuff happen to you! I had to scroll up to your profile pic to see if you had sprouted horns.

Mojoey said...

Exterminator - I had my tale bobbed so that I can pass for human.

Tina - I read on writing once that said everyone has funny moments and few people take the time to record them. I try hard to capture the things that happen to me.

Unknown said...

So now the truth is out! :-)

I knew it! You devil, you!

Oh, wait... If you're the Devil, then God does exist? Oh NOOOOO! :-)

Carolyn Ann

Johnny C said...

Too funny Joe, It reminds me of one of my best friends from a job I had a few years back. He had long red hair and a long red goatee. but he was short. So people would call him the little devil.

My only question is why she came to sit by you?

Oh well, the cat is out of the bag... might as well live it up.