Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Southern Baptists face sexual abuse crisis

As I read stories of pastoral depravity, I find myself slipping into a funk. I don't like reading about trusted religious figures abusing their power. However, I am hooked. It is like a demon has me by the brain. I feel compelled to post on these monsters. It is painful to read, but I feel good when I hit the publish button.

Every now and then I get a little lift. Like this article, which was sent to me by a helpful reader. It acknowledges the problem and highlights some of the most egregious cases of clergy abuse. Articles like this one give me hope. Maybe Southern Baptists will do something to prevent the molestation of innocent children. Maybe...

Five years after the clergy sexual abuse scandal erupted within the Catholic Church, Southern Baptists are confronting their own allegations of abuse and calls for greater steps to protect minors from predatory pastors.

Although the issue seems to be on a smaller scale for the Baptists, a series of media reports, activists' pleas and recent actions in the nation's largest Protestant denomination indicate what Catholic officials have long insisted: that sexual abuse is not a problem confined to their church.

Keep sending articles and I will keep posting them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Why do you keep writing about these predators, er, people? Surely if we all ignored them the problem would go away?

One of your anonymous posters in the Lubbock, Texas case seems to think so... (I know, I'm just a troublemaker... :-) )

I'm glad you write about these guys. Maybe it'll help, probably it won't. But please, keep writing about them!

Carolyn Ann

di said...

Hello! And yes, keep writing. If you have time, would you check out my blog: http://prodigaldaughter-di.blogspot.com and leave me some of your thoughts.

Most of my readers, but not all, come from a pastor in Texas's blog and posts on the same subject. He has bookmarked my blog for his readers.

I suffered the abuse. Twice. The first time I was 17 and second 20. I am now 51 and still healing.

If you know of those who need a place to talk and contact with someone who has been there -send them my way.

Di