Thursday, April 19, 2007

Where Is Atheism When Bad Things Happen?

Dinesh D'Souza opened his mouth and inserted his foot.

Notice something interesting about the aftermath of the Virginia Tech shootings? Atheists are nowhere to be found. Every time there is a public gathering there is talk of God and divine mercy and spiritual healing.

I read on in disbelief. D'Souza seems to think that Atheist are somehow devoid of human compassion, or sympathy for the dead and wounded.  His logic is questionable, his timing purely political. 33 people where butchered. Atheists had nothing to do with the Virginia Tech massacre. Why is D'Souza pointing a finger at us?

Where was my Atheism when after 33 people were murdered? I was trying to explain to my 12 year old son that Virginia Tech was not a middle school. That he and his friends would be safe attending his current school. That this crime was perpetrated by a mentally ill young man who may not have been responsible for his actions. I was a good dad to a son who needed comfort.

Personally, I held back tears as I heard the account of a young man who did not understand why he was still alive. I grieved over the tragic loss of a heroic professor. I spoke with a Korean friend who did not want to relive the hate that filled his live after the LA Riots. I general - I did what everybody else in America did. I did what I could. Only- I did not pray.

After Reading D'Souza's hit piece. I was left to wonder, does he really thing that we Atheists are somehow less affected by this tragedy because we did not have a visible presence in the mourning process? How absurd. I know a total of three atheists on a face-to-face basis - and I live in LA. We don't get together like Christians do. But then again - we don't stand around with little pointy science hats to identify us to the casual user. Atheists could have attended the candlelight vigils, memorial services, and various other events related to this tragedy - they probably did. I can only conclude that Dinesh D'Souza is an uniformed nutball.  let's see what others think:

And one other thing, Richard Dawkins is not the chief of my order. His action on inaction on a subject do not define me. My position stands - Dinesh D'Souza is now officially a nutball. Welcome to the club.

5 comments:

Simen said...

Here's another answer: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/4/19/18451/0971.

Now, the real question theists should be asking is this: where the hell was God when this happened?

vjack said...

Instead of worrying why Jee-zuhs killed these innocent students and faculty, I'm more interested in reducing the likelihood of this continuing to happen.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9uNtvFSxYM

Mojoey said...

ok vjack - I think they found me.

Anonymous said...

As a fellow Indian, I'm ashamed of the views of Dinesh D'Souza. (For a minority to be a right winger makes no sense to me). Anyway, what a loser he is to think that atheists are no less compassionate than people who have a belief in God. What his comment does show though is that atheists don't get together to show their solidarity and support as a group. Even if they did though, some in the media would probably twist things around to report it in a negative manner. It's similar to how us vegetarians and people supporting animal rights are chastised.