Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Top Ten Songs - Number 9

I talked to a few people about my little top ten project today. A few confused it with Top Ten Songs of all time. I had to set them straight, this is my top ten - song that mean something to me. The songs I turn to when I need a lift. I have a story for each one. After all - they all tend to represent a slice of time from my life.

Stevie Ray Vaughan is a legend. His mastery of the guitar is expressed best in his signature song, Texas Flood. I have the SRV catalog, every song, every album, every video. The man was amazing. Listening to the video version of Texas Flood kills me every time.

Why?

I started listening to SRV in the early 80s. He was a popular play in a few of the bars I frequented when working in the South Bay. He soon became a favorite. I collected his ban's CDs and considered myself quite the SRV fan. Time passes. SRV passes. In the 17 year span between his death and today, I've managed to collect every song he or his band ever produced. Texas Flood made my top ten when it came out on Guitar Hero. I practiced until the day came when I could proudly show my young son my skills. He promptly beat my high score. Texas Flood binds my son and I together. This alone qualifies it for my top ten list - but the fact that it rocks, helps!

Technorati tags: , , ,

1 comment:

beepbeepitsme said...

SRV was great and is great. His brother, Jimmie Vaughan from the "fabulous Thunderbirds" is pretty good too.