Friday, April 06, 2007

Today we eat

I recently started a new project aimed at recycling and helping the homeless. I carry a bag of crushed soda cans in the back of my truck. Whenever I see someone going through the trash for cans, I hand them a bag. I have tried it three times. The responses have all been positive.

I happened upon the idea when filling up my truck. I pulled in behind a man who was checking all the waste bins instead of purchasing fuel. Unwashed and nearly toothless, he darted from bin to bin in his quest for cans with the motivation of the hungry. I called him over to my truck and handed him a fat sack of cans. He grabbed my shoulders, looked me in the eye, and said "Today we eat".

Technorati tags: ,

3 comments:

Lexcen said...

Brilliant. Your concept of charity is inspiring.

Greg said...

This moving post has stayed with me. Thanks for sharing this experience.

IsThatLatin said...

This is a wonderful idea--thanks for the tip! And great, great work!