Saturday, March 17, 2007

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “You’ve stumped me.”

I am starting a list of the reasons why John McCain should not be our next president. My first entry, McCain does not understand the role of condoms in preventing the spread of H.I.V. When asked this question:

Q: [from reporter] So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?”

McCain responded with:

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “You’ve stumped me.”

Q: [from reporter] “I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?”

Mr. McCain: (Laughs) “Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception – I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it.”

A man who would be president and does not know his position on one the most important global heath issues of our day is simply ignorant. How can he not know that condoms help reduce the spread of H.I.V. What's more, he supports George Bush's moral position on abstanace, which is unscientific voodoo lunacy and helps spread H.I.V. A man who must struggle for the right political answer to a simple question does not desire to lead us. Just say no to John McCain in 08.

Technorati tags: , , ,

6 comments:

vjack said...

I think that compiling a list of reasons he shouldn't be president is an excellent idea. Assuming he wins the GOP nomination, you can do a post references all your individual reason posts and the rest of us can link to it. Of course, if he doesn't win the nomination...

Michael Bains said...

If there weren't so many VOTERS just as completely ignorant and idiotic as dude on this one, I'd really just feel sorry for him.

As it is ...

{shakin'head}

Mojoey said...

Michaelbains - I don't know what to do about the voters, and the non voters. But if you don't call an idiot and idiot, they end of as president.

vjack - good idea. I'll start a new catagory. I'll need to expand the list to cover the other candidates too. Just in case one of the weaker ones sneak through.

Anonymous said...

abstinece might be poor policy and just plain not fun. But "unscientific voodoo lunacy" ? c'mon! it's what u do 98% of your day!

Mojoey said...

it is only abstinece is I do it 100% of my day - I never quite manage, neither do teens.

Anonymous said...

Default abstinence as a result of life's demands is a different deal entirely from mandated abstinence based on hokey voodoo science.

Bush preventative regimes are a sham and an insult to the intelligence of anyone who takes the time to look at what has actually been implemented with federal monies.

Millions has gone into the wrong headed effort to stop teens from having sex. Some of this cash has gone into the pockets of Youth for Christ - some of it into so-called "crisis pregnancy centers". These groups represent the worst of reactionary thinking on sexual matters. They routinely attack every advance that has been made in the area of sexuality - their targets include Kinsey and every progressive who advocates education and scientific approaches.

The fallacy behind this thinking is best illustrated by the abstinence-only program implemented in Texas from 1995-2000. During this period the state ranked last in teen births among 15 to 17 year olds.

Bush pals like Dr McIlhaney claims condoms don't work, despite evidence to the contrary. Another genius in the pay of the feds, W. David Hagar, who wrote a book entitled - "As Jesus Cared for Women: Restoring Women Then and Now" - claims that prayer is the best cure for pre-menstrual syndrome.

Oh yeah - we are talking "unscientific voodoo lunacy" ... and then some.