Saturday, February 10, 2007

If I play music too loud...

...my neighbors will call the police. I will get a ticket. And, I will pay a fine. If I push it, I will find myself in civil or criminal court. The city where I live has laws that govern loud or annoying noises - and code enforcement officers who love to write tickets.

It is unlawful for any person to make or continue to make, or cause to be made or continued, within the city, any loud or unnecessary noise or any noise which may reasonably be anticipated to annoy, disturb, injure or endanger the comfort, repose, peace, health or safety of others, whether due to volume or duration, or both.

Noise is noise, why would the Muslim call to prayer be given special status?

Muslim call to prayer irks some residents - Mosque loudspeaker disturbs peace and quiet in the neighborhood.

It is precisely 2:45 p.m. Friday afternoon, and an evocative male voice penetrates the cold winter air.
“Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar,” the man sings in simple and repetitive musical notes. The message is in Arabic, and translates to, “God is the greatest.”

If the call to prayer is an annoying noise - code enforcement should be obligated to stop it. We should not grant Muslims special status just because the nature of the noise is religious.

(Posted while listing to The Wallflowers - What You See Is What You Get - Red Letter Days)

 

Technorati tags: , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever stopped to think that there is really no such thing as an atheist? To be adamant that there is no God, you must know everything that there is to know. You must have 100 percent of all the knowledge of everything in the universe. Let's assume you have 1 percent (which would be high for the average person) of all knowledge. That means that you do not know 99 percent of all the things there are to know, so you are really agnostic, because you dont know if there is a God because you cannot know everything.

Also, I find it hard to believe that you dont believe that everything has a maker. What if I showed you my home - it is made of bricks and mortar, but then I told you that no one made it - it just appeared here by accident. That's unbelieveable - just like its unbelieveable that the earth and everything and everyone on it just appeared here by accident.

Radix2 said...

Beth - Only some atheists will assert that god(s) do not exist. Many such as myself claim that it is possible for a god to exist somewhere, sometime. But I will join the strong atheist in saying with certainty that your Christian god does not exist.

And really - if you are going to trot out Paley's watchmaker argument, at least try to do it with some panache. It's is just boring otherwise.

Mojoey said...

Beth - proving the existence or non- existence of god in not possible, and not the point.

Btw – your “Atheist must know everything” logic is puerile.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, just to comment on the article here... Yeah I believe that when we make certain exceptions for some people, it leaves the door for other people to say "what about me?". No matter if it is religion, race, or sex, the law should be wpheld in any situation.