Saturday, November 04, 2006

Feed the Muse: Lomo Photography

I have tried to create the Lomo effect on my own with film and digital cameras. My results have been fun but disappointing. I'm shopping for my own Lomo camera, they are manufactured in St. Petersburg by the name Lomo Kompakt Automat. The are basically cheap, poorly constructed cameras, which in the right hands, can take visually stunning pictures.

My digital efforts have been interesting. I tried to alter images using Photoshop. I have been unable to replicate the distinctive Lomo vignette. That is... until I found a web tutorial at the Digital Photography School.

From the first time I saw a photo that looked like this, I wanted to shoot one of my own. But, for the longest time I couldn’t figure it out how people took photos look like this. Then one day searching the web, I realized I needed a Lomo LC-A camera. This is a Russian made camera that was a knock off of another camera. It is poorly made and by Japanese camera standards, a bad picture taker too. As the legend goes, somewhere in the 1990’s a cult following developed and hasn’t stop since.

Source: How To Make Digital Photos Look Like Lomo Photography

I gave it a try:

I liked the results.

Technorati tags: , ,