Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A story from my day


At 8:00 AM, I was rear ended by a kind woman driving a jeep. Fortunately, I was driving my truck, which has a steel rear bumper that has already absorbed five direct hits. I suffered no damage. The Jeep did not fare as well. The kind woman was a wreck too. Tears flowed as she laughed with nervous tension.

"You are a kind man," she said. "A saint"
I smiled and tried not to be threatening. "It is a small matter.
I was lying - deep down I was seething with slowly dissipating anger.
I said, "No harm done."

I watched the accident happen in my rear view mirror. The kind woman had over reacted to gravel truck chainging lanes. Rather than hit the brakes, she hit the gas. Her jeep fishtailed on the shoulder, threatening to roll before regaining traction. The Jeep jumped forward when its wheels hit concrete, and then jumped into the path of the gravel truck. She was hit from behind - lightly. She in turn hit me.

The gravel truck drove on. The nice woman went to pieces. Tears flowed, the cops came, bla, bla, bla.

Deep Thought for the day - when under stress, always try to by nice. Somebody else is having a worse day.

On the upside - I took a few good pictures today and managed some soul food with a friend this evening. I shot the picture above at 7:48 AM, two minutes before being hit.