Sunday, October 29, 2006

Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico

Inspiration in art can come from many sources. I find inspiration in nearly everything. Sometimes I see a odd rock set in concrete and think about the possibilities for weeks. Sometimes I see the works of other artists. And sometimes initial exposure to art sets a creative process in motion that nothing will ever stop. This is true for Ansel Adams's Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico, 1941. (I cannot display the picture at Deep Thoughts even though I own a copy because the Adams Image Trust are lawsuit nazis, so follow the link to see the image.)

Moonrise is my definition of the perfect photograph. It has inspired me since I first saw it as a young man in the 70s. It continues to inspire me to this day. I was fortunate enough to view an original last weekend. One is on display at the collectible moment, photographs in the Norton Simon Museum.

I went to the show expecting to see photo's collected by the museum in the 60s and 70s. Finding my favorite photograph on display was a special surprise. Once again, I was inspired, and humbled.

Manual Alverez Bravo

Image by: Manuel Alvarez Bravo

The show held other great works. Inspiration can come from anywhere. I found a new photographer, Manuel Alvarez Bravo. A Mexican artist with an eye towards the surreal. How I missed a gifted photographer like Bravo mystifies me. It reinforces that I am always learning, always looking for something new or unknown.

Manuel Alvarez Bravo

Image by: Manuel Alvarez Bravo

The collectible moment runs through Febraury.  



Stardust1954 said...

Awesome photography. Thanks for posting that link.

Lexcen said...

Thanks for the link. I'm always "collecting" online art.

Brian said...

Bizarre... Charmaine and I were at the Norton Simon last weekend too. Sunday afternoon.

Mojoey said...

Brian - I was there at 2:00 pm. Loved the show. Sorry we missed you.