Monday, October 09, 2006

Feed the Muse: Iraq Uncensored

I am a skeptic by nature, and a photographer. I like to point my camera at a subject and tell a story. The masters of this technique are photojournalists. Only, photojournalists have come under fire for injecting their political agenda into carefully staged photos so I am loath to accept the images at face value. Iraq Uncensored is a powerful collection of photographs, I approache them like I would a car wreck, cautiously.

Kael was one of the few independent photographers in Baghdad during the US bombing and documented the impact of the war and its aftermath. In the fall of 2003, she rented a room in Ramadi to photograph the resistance as it was first taking shape in the months after the US-led invasion. On her most recent trip, she documented the culture surrounding the second front of insurgents, the Medhi Militia, descendents of the shiite opposition against Saddam Hussein's regime. She made many trips across front lines in Najaf and Sadr City to photograph the Mehdi Militia battles with US forces.

Source: Slideshow of Selected Images

Technorati tags: , ,