Monday, September 04, 2006

Review: Jake's Wing Company

While at The Pike in Long Beach yesterday I stopped by Jake's Wing Company to sample the fare. I had enjoyed passable hot wings at another restaurant earlier in the day, so my taste buds were primed for a new experience. While my wife and son stepped out to buy a chocolate cake, I ordered my meat desert. A plate of the house special grilled tequila lime wings. At $8.50 for a plate of ten small wings, they are no bargain. I suspect at least $2 is going to cover location overhead, The Pike is pricey real estate.

The wings are small in comparison to most appetizer portions served today. I would estimate no more than 5 oz of meat on ten bones, possibly less. What the wings lack in size, they make up for in flavor. I found myself eagerly selecting my next wing while still sucking the meat off the one in my mouth. The salsa that complements the wings is outstanding. I wanted to take a bottle home with me. The staff was friendly and courteous, the dinning area was well organized and clean. People watching is fairly good in the window seating areas that overlook the central plaza. My only suggested improvement would be to allow some outside dinning. A Red Stripe, 20 wings, a good cigar, and seat in the lazy afternoon sun would find me eating wings at least once a week. Overall, I would rate the experience repeatable.

Jack's serves bottled beer, Red Stripe and other brands, for a reasonable price considering the location. They also have a full menu of salads, sandwiches, and sides in addition to their signature wing recipes, so the wife and kids can eat too. Jacks is located at The Pike at Rainbow Harbor, 160 Bay Street Long Beach, CA 90802. Mark Jacobson (562.590.5544) is the manager.


Technorati Tags: ,