Thursday, December 15, 2005

A funny story about CIA



I took this picture on my way to work this morning. I had noticed CIA or “Character Integrity Accountability” as window stickers on several SUVs recently. I knew it must be a new religious movement because most cars had other Christian related bumper stickers prominently displayed. This morning, CIA almost became imprinted on my front bumper. The driver of this mega sized Cadillac Escalade cut across two lanes of a highway causing me to panic stop. I honked my horn in irritation, but not in anyway that would be considered abnormal. The plump woman driving the Escalade jumped out of the SUV and flipped me off. Then she shouted and pointed at me as if I had done something wrong. I pulled back and then drove around her fearing a further confrontation. She followed, at times very close to my truck's rear bumper, honking and flipping me off all the while. It was great fun. My guess is that I embarrassed her; There were others in the car.

It turns out CIA or “Character Integrity Accountability” is a Christian movement. It goes under the name Character that Counts. The purpose:

To communicate the unique and critical message of character (doing right), integrity (being whole through Christ) and accountability (honestly reporting to one another) into our daily lives.

Their mission seems sound. I do not detect the dark side of religious mysticism here, only an effort to improve the lives of others through the teaching of moral values. Of course, some people may need a little more training.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I was once traveling through southern Colorado and I passed a building that was black with big gold letters - CIA. We actually stopped and took a picture of it but I can't seem to find it now. I wonder if it's related to this movement.
LOL, she seemed like a very Christian woman!

Johnny C said...

funny, really.. you should have gotten one of her flipping you off, then you could have sent it to the main office, and ask then plainly, if that behavour personifies thier movement. LOL

Anonymous said...

If you want character, integrity and accountablity, you certainly don't want American-style Christianity. And I can say that as a former pastor: We're really messed up.

It's beome the religion of the Pharisees; legalism that always seems to absolve ourselves while condemning others, and you just ran into an example of it.

It isn't like these Pharisees are the sum of Christianity in America, but they certainly are the noisy ones - those who wear their religion on their sleeves (and cars).

Mojoey said...

Chriss - you point is well made and one of the reasons I always read people bumper stickers.