Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Killing time in Acuna Mexico

I went from a business simulation in Irvine to an ERP Project in Acuna Mexico in the space of 24 hours. I went from cool and comfortable, to hot and sweaty. It was at least 101 with 95% humidity yesterday, and hotter today. My first night at the hotel in Del Rio was scary – I was visited by a brown tarantula with a body the size of my thumb. I woke to find it crawling in my chest hair. I screamed like a little girl, and then proceeded to smash it into a brown pulp. The hotel staff assured me my room was spider free when I returned from dinner. However I was not really able to sleep for some reason. Hmmm, I might be afraid of spiders; especially big hairy brown ones!

Observations:

I ate at my first (and last) Sonic Burger on the road from San Antonio to Del Rio. The food was not very good at all.

I ate at my first (and last) Applebee’s. All I can say is, at least they have beer.

San Antonio is plastered with Go Spurs Go. What the hell is a Spur?

The road from San Antonio to Del Rio is a three hour speed trap – each town has its own shake down section. They will even pull you over if you are 3 miles over the posted limit. It is really a joke.

The inbound customs checkpoint in Mexico is unmanned. You just drive right through. It was most bizarre. Nobody cared that a car full of people just drove across the border and into Acuna. I am told that going back will be different. US Customs has been stopping people for up to an hour.

I had lunch at Johnny's Steakhouse in Acuna today. By American standards, it would not pass muster, but I loved the place. I had a nice t-bone and salad, with Diet Coke. My co-workers had similar meals. 6 of use ate for under $50 bucks. A funny moment occurred when our waitress tried to convince us that the ice in our glasses was “safe”. The meal ended 5 untouched glasses of ice. Alberto took a chance on lemonade, but he’s originally form Mexico so I think he’s immune.

More to follow with pictures tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe....a spur is that little metal thing that cowboys have on their boots! You know...the ones they dig into their horse's belly when they want to go fast.

- Mike

Anonymous said...

You are both dumb-asses...it is the Baketball team in SA...you know national champions!!