Saturday, May 14, 2005

Deep Thoughts has its first birthday

I did not realize it, but May 10th was Deep Thoughts one year birthday. My first post was about driving on the freeway. I've had about 17K visitors in the year since I've started writing. Most have been nice, but I have garnered a few pieces of hate mail. No worries - it's just a blog.

My most popular post is clearly my anti-uhaul rant.

My most popular picture is boyonbike - I have no idea why, but I like the bike too (I used to have a Stingray as a kid). By a quick count, it has been viewed at least 3,000 times since I originally posted it. I've also received about 100 requests for more pictures.

Some common questions:

Why do I blog? - It’s a creative outlet. I have a demanding job and I am a graduate student too, blogging tends to be my study break.

Why did i switch over to photoblogging? I wanted to be a photographer when I was growing up, the reality of life dictated a career in manufacturing, then a move to IT. Photography fell by the wayside. Now I shoot pictures almost everyday and I write about what I shoot. It's not the same as being a photographer but it gives me immense personal pleasure.

What have I learned from blogging?

  • That spelling counts and that I suck at it. (I went to Artesia in the 70s, spelling was not part of the program.)
  • People are very sensitive about religious beliefs - especially Muslims (no more hate mail please!). Whenever I do a Christian nutball post, I get Christian hate mail. (You can substitute Christian for Muslim, atheists, democrat, republican, etc…)
  • I don't have an audience, I write for my own pleasure. If somebody likes what I write or a picture I make, then that's just fine with me. If nobody likes it, then that is just fine with me too!
  • I love to read other peoples blogs – I tend to like artistic blogs the most, but my favorite is clearly the conservative blog littlegreenfootballs.
Why Deep Thoughts? - read this post

Will I continue to post? - I think so, blogging is addictive and fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"it's not the quantity, it's the quality", blah blah. anyhow, if i did not have a site meter, i would think i was "talking" to myself. i live for the reactions from others, i'm interested to hear their responses (as long as it's PC). congrats on the anniversary, guess you're not a blogger virgin anymore, huh? i'm working on it, but it should not be hard since we're blogaholics.

AbbaGav said...

Hippy Borschtday. Hey, I guess spelling really does matter.