Saturday, October 01, 2011

Photo: Hip and alone

Hip and alone

Cerritos, California has very little nightlife. A few tea and coffee shops serve in place of the normal city bars scene. Most of what is open is dark by midnight. I found myself alone at a Starbucks last week in the late evening waiting for a friend that never showed up. I turned my Nikon D7000 and 50mm lens on the locals while waiting. This was my favorite shot. This young hip teen had all the right gear, yet he was alone. Near the end of my stay his amazingly beautiful date showed up. They ignored each other while concentrating on their various electronic gadgets.

I was approached by 3 lonely men during my hour at Starbucks. Each only wanted to connect for a few minutes. It was an interesting experience. I’m not much of a connecting type, but I played along.

I carry the D7000 with a fast 50mm lens whenever I want to indulge my street photography jones. It’s a reliable camera with two programmable presets that give me a good chance to capture the moment. It’s hard in Cerritos though, as there is no street its all shopping malls and strip malls, all with no heart.