Monday, September 13, 2010

Introducing Science Versus Faith

Please join me in welcoming one of the newest member of the Atheist Blogroll, Science versus Faith.

Hi. My name is K. Ashok Vardhan Shetty. I am from Chennai, India. Under the influence of my mother, I used to be a devout Hindu till about the age of 25. Thereafter, on reading books by Abraham Kovoor, Bertrand Russell, Thomas Paine, Robert Green Ingersoll and other authors, I became a skeptic and have remained so for the past 27 years. I believe that only a skeptic can be truly secular.

I call myself an 'atheist' with regard to the organised religions of the world and their innumerable anthropomorphic gods which are so obviously man-made. Organised religions are nothing but rackets to fool the gullible, and I find it difficult to understand why so many people - some of them even intelligent people - continue to believe in them.

I do not look down upon or make fun of religious people; rather, I sympathise with them in the same way as we feel sympathy for a person who is suffering from a mental disease or an addiction. Religious people need help. (I am not being condescending when I say this. This is the plain truth).

I call myself an 'agnostic' with regard to the larger question of an undefinable 'Creator' who may or may not be responsible for the Universe. I believe that this question may well be insoluble for the human mind - a mind that evolved to cope with the needs of survival in African jungles and grasslands. But I am confident that science will get as close to finding everything about the knowable Universe as is possible.

I have recently started a blog called "Science versus Faith" which can be accessed at Science versus Faith. This blog is pro-science and anti-blind faith. It makes available at one place classic video excerpts, cartoons, articles and books on the topics of science and religion, and reveals the comical as well as the dark side of human irrationality. I hope you will like it and I look forward to your comments.

Are you interested in becoming a member? Visit the Atheist Blogroll resource blog for more information.

Technorati Tags: Atheism,The Atheist Blogroll