Monday, May 26, 2008

Teacher lets students vote out classmate

I have a close friend who is learning all about autism. Her adorable young son was diagnosed with a mild form of autism just a few weeks ago. I put a news filter in to help learn a little about the subject. So far it has been a horrifying experience. First I leaned of a young autistic boy being banned from Church. Now it seems a teacher allowed her kindergarten class to vote a newly diagnosed autistic young boy out of the class.

After each classmate was allowed to say what they didn't like about Barton's 5-year-old son, Alex, his Morningside Elementary teacher Wendy Portillo said they were going to take a vote, Barton said.

By a 14 to 2 margin, the students voted Alex — who is in the process of being diagnosed with autism — out of the class.

Source: Teacher lets Morningside students vote out classmate

I normally reserve my moral wrath for fudies and wayward pastors. But this one ticked me off. I'm willing to bet there is a fundie involved here too. She is either a fundie or a woman completely devoid of human decency. It is the same thing right?

You can tell Wendy Portillo what you think by emailing her at the address below. Be nice.


Ms. Wendy Portillo
portillow@stlucie.k12.fl.us

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sending e-mail... now.

IsThatLatin said...

Amazing. We have friends with a little boy who was diagnosed a few years ago. As if it's not hard enough for families dealing with this, people like her have to come along. Just amazing...

Anonymous said...

What the hell?! I'm too upset and angry to even type a coherent thought...ugh! Maybe we should put her in front of a school board meeting and vote her out of the classroom. See how she likes it!- Imogen

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately this happens all too often it just doesn't make the news like this did. My son was locked in a room and told that I wanted them to do that and that he could not leave unless he was bleeding. Most kids with AS are very literal so he bit himself to "bleed" for her so he could leave. He was in third grade. When I found him, he had been in the room with just the speech therapist for over an hour screaming. She was angry with me for removing him from being held hostage by her and said, "mommy to the rescue." When I called the police they said to call social services, when I called them they said they didn't investigate teachers that abuse kids only parents. I hope that this mother doesn't have to go through the ignorance we faced and still face with our school district.

PhillyChief said...

Why write her? Write the school district, write major media outlets. Bring heat to bear on this women, REAL heat, not just a scathing email.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like encouraging ignorance and teaching prejudice. I guess people forget the days when a woman couldn't vote or an african american wasn't even considered human. How sad, we as a society truely believe we have evolved. Someone once said: Before YOU judge me, walk a mile in MY shoes.

My heartfelt prayers go out to the family. Autism doesn't just affect one person, but all around him/her.

Dromedary Hump said...

here's my email to that imbecile:

Subject: I Fully Support Your Decision

I fully understand and support your decision to have the class vote that autistic child out of the class.

There's just no room for tolerance, or teaching children about disabilities. There's no room for civility and humanity when group humiliation is so easy, and much more fun. Who better to teach this kid he's a worthless subhuman than his class mates at the instigation of the adult role model.

I'm sure somewhere out there there is a mindless teacher in an all white middle class school room ready to vote out the single black kid from a disadvantaged background because his look, speech, social skills and attire is different.

Kudo's on your having set teaching back 50 years.


I hope the parents sue that teacher and the school system into the fricken stone age!!!

Anonymous said...

I sent the teacher an email. This is what it said: "Concerning the vote you organized against that autistic kid, just wanted to give you a heads up on the new upcoming vote. We're all going to vote on, wether or not, you should stay in the classroom. You might want to start looking for a new job."